Vanessa Pike-Russell

A glass jar of Spectrum Naturals brand organic...Image via Wikipedia

In my search for Gluten Free flour, sugar substitutes and coconut oil for my biscotti and canneloni recipes I have visited both Woolworths in Warilla, Coles in Warrawong and some delicatessens. Sadly it is very difficult to source Millet, Quinoa and buckwheat flour in the larger supermarkets. What's worse is that there is no longer a health food store at Westfield Warrawong so I have returned home with Xanthum gum from Coles, Polenta flour from an Italian deli in Warrawong, and some sore feet!

When I got home I decided to look online and source all my ingredients in the one place. I've had some success locating my supplies and learned some things along the way, including how to make my own nut meals and the health benefits of Coconut flour. I am curious to learn how the texture of baked goods will be affected by the addition of coconut flour and coconut oil. One site which produces its products in Philippines but based in Australia is NUI.

"Supplying Australia and New Zealand with 100% Certified Organic Virgin coconut oil, coconut flour, 100% Pure organic black chocolate, coca nibs, Nui Maple Biscuit Mix, Nui Coconut Pancake Mix."

100% Pure Organic Coconut Flour

100% Pure Organic Coconut Flour

organic & natural

Coconut flour is made from ground coconut meat and is an excellent high-fibre alternative to wheat. It has the highest fibre content of any flour. Having a very low concentration of digestible carbohydrates makes it an excellent choice for those who must restrict their carbohydrate intake.

Coconut flour can be used to make breads, cakes, pies, and other baked goods. Use 15-25% in place of other flours in standard recipes.

  • gluten-free
  • wheat-free
  • soy-free
  • contains no fillers
  • low-carb
  • high-fibre
  • product of the Philippines
  • Ingredients: Organic Coconut Flour
100% Pure Organic Coconut Flour Size
Price

100% Pure Organic Coconut Flour 1kg $15.95 +
100% Pure Organic Coconut Flour
500g $8.95


http://www.nuicoconut.com/australia/nui_products_AUS/nui_food_range.htm#OrganicCoconutFlour



I've been reading about the benefits of Coconut Oil since learning of the dietary requirements of some young friends who cannot process animal fats in a normal fashion. NUI offers a 100% Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil in bulk or smaller packs which may prove to be cost effective over time.

100% Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Food Oil

100% Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil


Coconut oil is the most versatile dietary oil on earth.

Our virgin oil is:

  • fairly traded
  • certified organic
  • contains no hydrogenated oils
  • no trans fatty acids
  • is not refined
  • is not bleached
  • is not deodorized
  • no GM ingredients

100% Vegetarian. Ideal for cooking, baking, frying or spreading. Delicious enough to eat straight from a spoon. A smooth, creamy, all purpose oil.

100% certified organic virgin coconut food oil SIze
Price

Nui 100% certified organic virgin coconut food oil 440ml $17.00 + P&H
Nui 100% certified organic virgin coconut food oil 1 litre $32.00 + P&H
Nui 100% certified organic virgin coconut food oil SPECIAL PRICE 10 litre $225.00 + P&H
Nui 100% certified organic virgin coconut food oil SPECIAL PRICE 20 litre $400.00
+ P&H

Other products from NUI include:

Other brands of Coconut Oil and Flour include:

Tropical traditions

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com.au

Kokonut Pacific Niulife virgin coconut oil
http://www.kokonutpacific.com.au/OilSales/OilIndex.html

http://www.kokonutpacific.com.au/OilSales/Shopping/Cart1.php

And a great overview to nut meals
http://www.foodsubs.com/Nutmeals.html

I also found a great organic food store called 'Doorstep Organics' which delivers to Sydney and Wollongong. Thankfully they stock Millet flour around $8/kilo and Buckwheat flour around $6 per kilo and Quinoa at a staggering $14/kilo. I am sure to put in a large order next week and in the meantime ring around some local delis and ask them to order in more gluten free flour as I am certain I am not the only one finding it difficult to source gluten free flours and coconut oil in bulk quantities.

I may take a trip down to the lovely Shellharbour Village to Green Poppy. I had a vague memory of them stocking gluten free flours and after some googling I've found their website and reviews and it seems I'm in luck! I've just emailed them asking what gluten-free products and sugar-alternatives they stock and hope to finally source some agave syrup for one of my biscotti batches.

My young friend Siobhan is on a cancer-fighting diet which restricts most types of sugar and I want her gluten-free and sugar-free biscotti to taste the best they can. I am hoping to have a taste test this weekend and bring a smile to her sweet little face. Her Dad Michael has been a fountain of information and due to her restricted diet I have been learning a lot about suitable sugar alternatives, oils and flours. It has been a challenge learning to bake with buckwheat on a very short list of flours which are suitable. The last time we baked I made a cake out of buckwheat pancake mix and some pears for sweetness. It wasn't the most appetising cake but she loved it anyway and I'm hoping that with the addition of coconut flour to that list since they will not only be healthy but taste great. All the recipes I have been reading state that buckwheat flour should only make up half of the flour in a recipe. I can only imagine that the coconut oil and coconut flour would make them taste extra delicious. I guess the proof is in the tasting.

I'll keep you updated on my gluten free baking progress. Wish me luck!

Vanessa



On a sidenote, I did hear some heartening news that the House of Hope Food Barn at Warrawong stocks Gluten Free Flour and Bread. I hope to visit next week and will share what I learn. There is talk of a Food Barn opening in Warilla in the future, something that I am sure will be well-received with free bread, fruit and vegetables for low income earners, pensioners and students. They also have boxes of food for $30 including meat and groceries. Please print out the flyer and spread the news.

If you know of any sources of gluten free flour either in the Illawarra or Online please leave a comment on this blog post and I will add it to the directory with a link to your profile or comment link.

Tweet This
0 Responses

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a speedier response please email me at vanessa.pike.russell [at] gmail.com

Google Map


View Illawarra Food Reviews in a larger map

Upcoming events


Declare your love of Illawarra Food